Craig Mayhew's Blog
VPN with beThere Thomson TG585v7by Craig Mayhew on Thu 15th Apr 2010 under Guides/Fixes
As soon as I switched to beThere and the appalling TG585v7 router they sent me I ran into VPN issues. Absolutly no outgoing VPN connections would work through this router. There is normally something called "VPN Pass Through" that needs enabling on routers to allow outgoing VPN connections. Unfortunately this router has no way of doing that through the web interface so I was forced to use the following "solution".
This will require you to have a spare DSL router as we will be turning the Thomson router into just a modem by using "bridging". You will also need your static IP, subnet mask, gateway IP and DNS server IP addresses which Be should have sent you in your welcome email.
- Plug your spare router into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the bebox.
- Login to your bebox
- Click "Thomson Gateway"
- Click "Configuration"
- Click "Setup"
- Click "Next"
- Select "Bridge", Click "Next"
- When asked, add your IP and DNS info.
- Reboot router, it may do this automatically
- Your "spare" router is now your actual router, plug the rest of your computers/network into it instead of the bebox.
- Your VPN should now work.
If anyone else has a better solution than this, please drop something in the comments box below.
If it helps, the manual can be downloaded from here:
Thomson TG585v7 VPN
If you found this site helpful then please return the favour and help me out with the things I'm stuck on or improve upon one of my questions on qoura
Latest Blog Posts
© Craig Mayhew 2003 - 2013